“Writer, how do you pronounce that word? Bak kut zee, is it?” my colleague asked.
I looked at her with a puzzled look on my face. “What?” I asked.
“Those people that take photos,” she said.
“Paparazzi,” I said, thinking whether or not to use a play on the pope’s name to help her remember it.
I later overheard her giving the correct pronunciation to another Mandarin-speaking colleague who committed pa pa la ji (father rubbish) to memory.
I’m glad I didn’t.
You Should Also Check Out This Post:
- Sunday, July 1 - Are you free to say ‘No’?
- Saturday, June 30 - Hospitality
- Friday, June 29 - Keeping the faith
- Wednesday, June 27 - The golden rule of truth
- Question: What’s the connection between pre-marital sex and adultery?